The definition of “Evangelism” is the spreading of the Christian gospel by public preaching or personal witness. It is the proclamation and/or announcement of the gospel, of the Good News about Jesus Christ. Evangelism is derived from the Greek work “euaggelion”, which means “gospel” or “Good News”. And in its verb form “euaggelizesthai” means “to announce” or “bring the Good News”.
So what does “evangelism” mean to you?
- Does it mean walking the streets of your community and sharing the Good News?
- Does it mean holding large revivals in your community or abroad?
- Does it mean the gathering of your congregation on a weekly basis, sharing the Good News, studying the Bible, and deepening your congregation’s walk with the Lord?
- Does it mean deploying missionaries throughout the world, equipping those missionaries to share the Good News?
- Does it mean to walk in faith at all times?
- Does it mean to always analyze your daily interactions under the premise of “what would Jesus do in this particular situation?”
The need for love and hope in this world is ever so present, and we are called to share the love of Jesus Christ with all mankind in our local communities and abroad. I just read an article about the Church of England, and how the church is instituting a new initiative which is aimed at sharing the Good News. In England, a country where the percentage of Believers has been declining, the church leaders realize the need to do something…..and that something is “evangelism”. http://www.christianheadlines.com/blog/archbishops-of-canterbury-and-york-launch-new-evangelism-initiative.html
Please share how you are involved with evangelism……we would love to hear from you! God bless you!